Monday, September 9, 2013

Helping children deal with loss

Friday night Willow died. She was my twelve year old daughter's pet dwarf hampster. We had only had her for six months, and she was just the tiniest little bit of life, but in that short time she had charmed us with her shiny black eyes, her curiously twitching whiskers, and her endearing poofiness. We squealed with delight whenever she groomed herself by rubbing her tiny hands in circles on her face. We were grossed out and amazed simultaneously when she would stuff her cheeks with seeds only to spit them out in our unsuspecting hands later. Of course, no one took to her like my twelve year old because she was hers to enjoy and care for and I'm proud to say that she did an excellent job.



But like all things, after a few months, the novelty wore off and Willow became just one of many components of our busy lives. We still noticed her fluffiness and laughed at her burrowing, just maybe not quite as often. And then early last week, my daughter showed me that Willow didn't have her usual spunk. At that moment, of course, she became the center of our attention. There soon followed a flurry of web searches, sterilizing her environment, neosporin, coconut water, anything we could think of to help her to get well. And she did, for a few days. She ran in her wheel again and up and down her tunnels until Friday, when we noticed her still form and thought, she's sleeping...no...she's dying.

We spent the next hour or two huddled on the couch with Willow in our hands, just watching her breath. In and out. Knowing each time that it could be her last. In and out. We each held her until our hands ached. In and out. Finally, we put her in a box with some bedding and held the box on our laps. Every once in a while the silence was broken by a few tears, or the inevitable "Why?" and the painful, "Is this my fault?" and of course the "If only...". After some hastily eaten Chinese food (who has time to cook dinner in an emergency situation like this?) it was time to go to bed. My daughter kept a vigil until her eyelids were too heavy to keep open and she made her way to bed. By morning, Willow had taken her last breath.

These are very tender moments in a child's life and I would hope that all parents would realize that a child's bond with a pet is very real and would respect it as such. But I would also hope that they would recognize it as a unique opportunity to model for their child a dignity surrounding death and therefore a deep respect for life. That they would realize that how a child deals with the death of a pet can prepare them to deal with the death of family members. It creates a culture around death, life, and connections.

I think of my own experiences with death as a child, waiting in the car as my mother went into the hospital to see a dying aunt so as to protect me from seeing her wasting form. They didn't want to frighten me. Adults whispering the names of ailments and the conditions of various elderly family members. Basically, I remember being removed from the process of death and dying and I remember being afraid.

When my cat of fourteen years, Amber, began to die my daughter's were five and nine. I set her up a little bed on the living room love seat and fed her by hand. I carried her to the litter box several times a day and I thought, "I want my children to see me caring for living things. I want them to see me drawing near to beings who are suffering rather than turning away." And they followed suit. They approached her with curiosity and respect. And after a glorious afternoon of one last bask in the warm sun, I brought Amber in to die. I had been so attentive to her decline that I somehow knew she was taking her final breaths. I wrapped her in a towel (because she was having involuntary bowel movements) held her in my arms and told the girls to say goodbye. I didn't tell them what to do or how to do it, they just began to sing. I don't even remember what song it was. I just remember my heart splitting open at how beautifully they were expressing their gratitude to her for being in our lives and I thought, why can't it be this way when people die? Why do we pay so many people to do everything for us and then show up in black clothes and choke back our tears? Why do we mutter cliché statements like "I'm sorry for your loss" which, while they may be sincere belie the things we really want to say that might take an afternoon over coffee or several pages of handwritten correspondence? It's like we're emotionally constipated. And if we do death so poorly, are we doing life poorly as well?

We dug graves for both Amber and Willow. I dug the one for Amber myself and the clay soil was tiresome to break through, but I found that having something to do, doing the burial rather than just watching someone else do it, was therapeutic for me. It gave me time to process and grieve and a place to put my energy. Amber was bid goodbye by one of my children reading a letter she had written to her, thanking her for being such a good pet, and Willow was remembered for all of the things she did to endear herself to us. She was buried with a little heart-shaped card with her name handwritten on it, a makeshift blanket, and precious bits of crystal and abalone. There was journaling and a few pictures taken and quiet and space.



Of course, when we lose a pet, I am sad to see my children cry and miss the pets too, but I am grateful every time to show them a different way. A way that normalizes death and lessens the fear. A way that finds beauty and gratitude even in the midst of pain. Maybe if enough of us do this, we can change the culture of dying back to one that is more alive.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Susan, thank you for this beautiful post. This summer we, me and my kids, had an experience with a cat being hit by a car in front of our eyes. It was hard fir them, we made ritual, much in the same spirit as what you are saying, to let them see death is not necessarily something to be afraid of. I made beautiful pictures of that ritual, you can see them here if you like..

    http://leililaloo.blogspot.nl/2013/08/a-cat-hit-and-run.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful Dana. Yes, your ritual is exactly what I am talking about and what children and many adults need to help us cope with loss. A dear friend of mine was dying of cancer several years ago and she gave me the gift of openly talking about her feelings about death with me. It was such an incredible thing to be a part of. So intimate. Thank you for sharing your post with me.

      Delete
  2. This is exactly what has been on my mind for awhile now. You write about it so beautifully. I lost my 14 year old cat a couple months ago and went through a mourning process that was painfully lovely, if such a thing exists. But the bigger point, as you say, is to change our cultural bias toward death, to stop ignoring it or changing the subject or dismissing reminiscences or any of the other things we do to squelch our pain and avoid thinking of our own mortality. Bravo, Susan! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I popped over to your blog from today's Brave Girls post. Congrast on having your art featured! This post is so incredibly moving; I'm very sorry for your family's losses. I have twin 10-year-old girls, Sarah and Olivia, and we recently lost my Great Aunt Olivia. She was 92 and truly has been my rock and my closest friend my entire life. My girls were very close to her as well, and one of my girls is named after her. They took her death very hard, particularly my Olivia, but we took our time to talk about her and tell stories about her. This was the first death I think they were old enough to truly comprehend. I was in awe at how well Sarah took care of her sister through that loss. You are so right that it is so important to be upfront with your kids about death. Protect them to a point, sure, but they must learn to face it.

    We've also been fostering kittens from our local animal shelter, and my girls have had to face the deaths of two of them. Olivia, again, took their deaths the hardest as she really has been the caretaker of the kits, and Sarah, again, took care of her sister. Having twins, it's fascinating for me to watch how they process these things.

    Lastly, and probably the hardest things they've had to grasp, earlier this year, I told my girls the truth about my mother's death. It was a conversation that I had been putting off for as long as I could because I didn't think they were ready to understand, and I knew I really wasn't ready to tell them. But the moment was finally right. I shared that story here: http://happyshackdesigns.blogspot.com/2013/01/telling-hard-truth.html

    And just one last quick note! I adore Melody Ross! I actually got to spend the day with her recently at the Serendipity retreat and she is just as warm and genuine and real as she appears online. Such a treasure, she is.

    So I do believe this is the longest blog comment I've ever written! Sorry to ramble on so, but I just truly related to your post. I'll be following along for more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly! So nice to meet you, and thanks for congratulating me on the feature! Very exciting stuff for me!!

      I read your post about your mother and was very touched. These are very difficult things to face first of all, and then the absolute tenderness of sharing it with a child takes so much courage. I admire how simply and honestly you spoke with them. I shared earlier this year with my daughters about some abuse I had suffered as a child. It was hard, but not as bad as the anticipation. Your daughters are beauties, inside and out.

      I adore Melody too. Too bad I couldn't go to Serendipity. You probably met some of my dearest friends: besides Melody ~ Jessica Brogan, Kellye Kimmel, and Kolleen Harrison. Pretty sure some others were there but can't think of them right now.

      Hope our paths cross some day! And thanks again for sharing your story with me. <3

      Delete