Monday, March 1, 2010

Monday Inspiration

Ok, so it's late Monday, but I still have a few hours.  Lots of sad things have been happening in the world lately, and in my life too really.  Inspiration can be hard to come by, but right now I am really up!  I think it's this crazy Kink's song I am rocking out to..."Picture Book".  Actually, that's an amazing segway to today's inspiration - children's books!!!


My first foray into children's books was our Lippencott readers in Kindergarden.  I was four years old when I read my first words.  MAGIC!!

After that some of my favorites were...

  
How about you? What are your faves?

My first attempt at writing a children's book was, I think, in third grade.  We had first grade buddies and I made my buddy an elaborate halloween book in the shape of a haunted house.  I worked so hard on it, but found it pure joy.  I remember the mother of my buddy being so impressed with it that she personally delivered handmade treats to me and thanked me profusely in front of the whole class.  I couldn't understand why she was making such a big deal out of it, but was thrilled with the rice krispy balls!

This interesting artifact is the inside cover to a journal a friend gave me in 1988 (my junior year of high school).  This was the first time I really thought of being a children's book author/illustrator.  I was 16.


I have an absurdly large collection of children's books.  Some that are mine from childhood, some I bought as an adult before I had kids, and then, of course many that I bought for my girls.


I've even been known to scour thrift store shelves looking for out of print treasures. This was one of my favorite finds (below).  I am mildly obcessed.




I guess I love their directness.  The vivid imagery.  The way they gently point out the absurdity of the adult world.  So much can be said with so few words. I have read some children's books (like Peach and Blue below) that have brought me to tears with their simple beauty.


I'm sure many of you know that tomorrow is Dr. Suess's birthday (ironically, it is also my wedding anniversary!!)  He is the king of modern children's literature and definitely an inspiration.  A total original.


Happy birthday Dr. Seuss and Happy Anniversary to me and my hubby.  I would love to hear about your favorite books as a child, or your family's favorite read-aloud and I hope you've been inspired to...
TAKE THIS INSPIRATION AND MAKE SOMETHING GREAT!!!.... or just read to a kid.


7 comments:

  1. Susan,

    Children's books? I was the nerd who was reading Funk & Wagnall's encyclopedias when I was four. But we read our kids "Goodnight Moon" and "Chugga Chugga Choo Choo."

    I remember your anniversary because it is on my birthday and because I just met you and didn't feel I knew you well enough yet to attend your wedding. Anti-social jerk I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right Steve! I always think about you on my anniversary. Thanks for ruining it for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love children's books. One of my top sources of inspiration. I have oodles also, I can't pass them up at flea markets because they are so cheap. Now that I have two little ones it is getting out of hand. Please tell me you had a Seuss themed wedding. Or a Suess themed anniversary? Nice to "meet you" I'm a fellow Fishie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. George and Martha and Frog and Toad were two of my favorites as well! I also loved Mr. Pudgins. Have you read this one? It's out of print but a friend of mind recently found me a copy on ebay.

    Looking forward to getting to know you in the fishbowl.

    emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! We are in the fish bowl e-course together. I wanted to drop by and check out your site. I love it here! You have some cool things going on! I do love a good children's book. I use them all the time in my classroom to teach art to my PK3-5th grade kiddos. Any who - can't wait to get to know you better in class. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi its me flora its wierd because i know all these books did you get rid of some of them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amber, Emily and 2 Soul Sisters: What a doof I am! I didn't realize that you had all commented until just now!! Thank you for stopping by. I am really enjoying getting to know you as well and listening to all of the common struggles we are all having.

    Amber, can you believe that I have not had a Suess themed anythhing with my husband? This is a must. Next year... I think a Seussian vow renewal would be cool!!

    Emily, I have notread Mr. Pudgins. Even just the name is cute. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete