Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Work/Study in Nepal and How You Can Help

Dear friends and family,

A few weeks ago I ecstatically made the announcement that I was invited to join an expressive arts work/study program in Nepal. I was floored by the amount of love, and encouragement that poured in. I really had no idea that I was seen and supported by so many and am so very grateful that you took the time to connect with me. Many have come forward and asked for more information about the trip as well as inquiring about how they can partake of this experience with me. I would love to share this information with you now.

But first, a little back story…


painting by me 1996

I have lived long enough to know that we have all seen dark days. Times when our pain overshadowed our hope and joy. Just like you, I am no stranger to suffering.  And at the darkest of times I have received the greatest of blessings. Of course, it’s a process, like the transformation that coal undergoes under vast amounts of pressure over time. And it looks different for all of us, but for me, my process of working through pain and troubles has always involved a few things - conversations, prayer, and creative expression. This is actually how I came to be an artist. I was driven to express feelings that I could put no words to and found release there. 

Ever since I discovered what a powerful tool the arts are for me, I have been wanting to share it with others through sharing my own expressions - my art, and leading women and children in the art-making process. Wanting to learn expressive arts therapy is a natural progression of this.

I have also asked myself who needs this the most? Traumatized individuals. The terminally ill. Those who have been abused and neglected. Survivors of human trafficking. So when I saw the opportunity to learn art FROM survivors of human trafficking, I flipped my lid!! Imagine my excitement when I got the news that my application had been accepted!

The Deets…

from last year's trip, photo by Jenna

Here’s what I know so far about the experience from http://www.harambeearts.org/download/TraveltoNepal.html

May 24 - June 7 2014, I will be participating in a unique expressive arts therapy work/study program led by Harambee Arts, a non-profit organization that partners with grassroots programs in Africa and Nepal in the training of local caregivers to provide healing art programs for vulnerable women and children. 

During our two-week stay, we will be lodging in a charming guesthouse in Boudhanath located on the grounds of a Tibetan Monastery, in Kathmandu, Nepal. The first week of the program we will be trained in the Harambee Arts methodology by survivors of trafficking and their support staff. During the second week, we will work directly with Nepali girls in safe houses as well as other groups which may include orphans, and children with cancer or disabilities. 

The training covers key elements of practice, including:

  • How to introduce the work effectively in crisis situations with diverse populations
  • Best practices in creating a safe space for participants to heal, especially when they have no sense of safety
  • Creating community to allow everyone to be heard and valued
  • Using multiple art forms - including dance/movement, visual arts, storytelling, and drama - as transformative healing modalities
  • Strategies for planning, organizing, communicating and creating effective workshops and interventions.


Much of this activity will be very emotionally intense, so in between we will go for hikes, shopping, and visit sites of cultural interest.

How this trip will help me further my goals…

After my return from Nepal, I will apply my new knowledge and experience in my volunteer work at a local safe house. Between now and when I depart for the work/study program, I will undergo a 40 hour volunteer training with Freedom House, a local non-profit organization with two safe houses in the bay area that provide survivors of human-trafficking with long-term aftercare. I believe the combination of these two experiences will provide me with the tools I need to do this work. Beyond serving trafficked individuals, I will also be able to conduct one-on-one interventions and create workshops and retreats applying expressive arts as a healing tool for enrichment and personal growth.

Where you come in…

As you can imagine, this is an ambitious undertaking. I could really use all the support I can get. There are several ways you can participate:

PRAY - pray that I will be able to raise all of the funds necessary (approx $4500) by March 31st, that I will be able to work out all of the details (particularly the visa and child care), that I (and all other participants) will be physically and emotionally strong in the face of the rigors of this trip, for the safety of all involved, and that we would all be teachable in spirit and return with greater compassion and hope.

SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER - as much as possible I will be documenting this journey and would love for you all to come along. If you sign up for my newsletter you will automatically be e-mailed any updates.





DONATE - if you feel called to give just click the paypal button below. No amount is too small. Everything helps. Also, if you would like to donate an art piece or a product or service, I will be holding a fundraising auction in the next few weeks.  Please e-mail at smshammack[at]gmail[dot]com or FB message me and let me know 1. what you are wanting to donate 2. a picture of the item 3. a minimum bid 4.your contact information (this will not be published but will be provided to the winner).



SHARE - please feel free to share this information with anyone you feel might be interested. You'll find some snazzy buttons below so you can share this on twitter, facbook, pinterest, or in an e-mail. The more we spread the word the better!


Finally, I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for being part of my support team. I couldn’t do this without you!!